Courses for Helpline Workers
Helplines Partnership delivers its open training programme for helpline workers, helpline volunteers and helpline call handlers across the UK and in Ireland.
All our training courses are designed for helpline workers and volunteers to support you to build your skills and confidence. Each participant will receive resources which are supplied as part of each course.
Prices for each course start at £149 (+VAT) for members.
- Would you like us to come to you? Contact us
- Want to search for courses near you? Search now
- Want to book more than three people on one course? Contact us
SKIP TO THESE SECTIONS:
Confidence and skills in call handling from the outset are the building blocks for an effective helpline in terms of delivery, staff retention and service user satisfaction. Ensure new call handlers effectively and efficiently manage contacts whilst adhering to the remit of your service.
Participants will learn:
- explore the structure of a call and the challenges of each stage
- learn effective listening and questioning techniques
- learn how to deal with silences
- experience and understand the power of paraphrasing
- understand how beliefs and assumptions influence us
- understand the difference between directive and non-directive support
- learn how to signpost callers to other sources of support
- know how to establish rapport and maintain professionalism
- know how and when to end a contact appropriately
Responding to Challenging Calls
Participants will learn how to respond appropriately and effectively to challenging service users and explore strategies and approaches for managing such challenges within your service remit. They will examine different types of challenging contacts and explore techniques for effective responses.
Participants will learn:
Participants will identify and practice skills and techniques for managing contacts presenting these common challenges:
- reluctant to talk or silent
- circular or indecisive
- needs are outside the service remit
- angry or abusive
- emotional and distressed
- complaining or reflecting responsibility onto handler
Supporting Emotional Service Users
Ensure your staff have the skills and confidence to respond and support emotional callers within your service's remit. Attendees will discuss and explore the use of empathic responses and practice techniques and skills in a supportive environment.
Participants will learn:
- understand personal and professional boundaries
- explore how emotions effect interaction and responses
- understand differences between empathy and sympathy
- identify key skills and phrases to convey empathy
- examine emotional language and how to sensitively explore feelings
- explore benefits of reflective practice and debriefing
Helpline Skills for Email, Text and Webchat
Whether offering or considering channels such as email, text message or webchat, this training will provide vital insights on how to respond to service users via these channels effectively. Text-based support requires a different approach, understanding and techniques. Through practical exercises and identifying best practice for each channel you can ensure your service users receive high quality, consistent delivery across all channels.
Participants will learn:
- differences between types of channels
- advantages and disadvantages of text-based services
- defining the 'textscape' and its impact on helpline work
- dealing appropriately with silences
- assumptions made based on text and how to interpret and minimise them
- understand how and when to use templates and standard responses
- assessing options available for greetings and sign-offs
- structure of a text-based interaction
- how to convey empathy, use paraphrasing and active listening skills via text
- how to provide information and signpost via text
Event Cancellation and Non-Attendance Policy
Your Measuring Outcomes Masterclass was brilliant. We changed a lot of what we do at the charity because of it. We have brought in new systems to our anonymous helpline and the trustees are really happy with how it further professionalises the charity. The changes we made because of what we learnt on the course has made us better able to support the people we are there to support.
Mark Brooks, Chair of Trustees
The ManKind Initiative
First class training. I learn so much each time and come back encouraged to take on board and put into practice what I've learned.
Kevin Lonergan, Manager
I found the course very helpful in understanding and identifying the symptoms of Vicarious Trauma and the impact that this could have on the service we offer to parents and families. It was also helpful to look at different ways we can support Helpline line staff and what other things we can put in place to avoid this happening.
Bereavement Support Services Manager
Sands - Stillbirth and neonatal death charity
Your session added hugely to the event, making it an enormously positive day overall. Your session .. was pitched perfectly. Your delivery was wonderful and very respectful... We very much appreciated how you incorporated our ‘real life’ boundary issue into your presentation and for the advice you have given us on the best way forward with this.Thank you so much again for meeting the brief so wonderfully and for being so flexible on the day. I know that the volunteers very much valued ‘your professionalism’ and experience in this field. They will have taken a huge amount away from your session which I hope they will begin to apply in positive ways to themselves and their approach to calls.
The Compassionate Friends
The expert training and guidance given to the new members of our Advice Team by Helplines Partnership has been invaluable.
Head of Telephone and Compliance Centre Services
They (call handlers) are already reducing their call time and being much more confident in ending calls.
NICE - National Institute for Clinical Excellence
The team have all commented on how much they enjoyed it and how valuable it was.
Customer Services Manager
British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
Your training was great - the volunteers were all really engaged and enthusiastic throughout - and you really demonstrated what we wanted from them excellently.
The course met my expectations and more. It has opened my eyes to how I communicate with people.
I have attended a number of Helplines Partnership’s training courses. The training is always excellent and I really gain so much from meeting the other helplines too. The membership is really varied from small local helplines to the big nationals. We all bring lots of experience and ideas and I always go away from the course thinking “I hadn’t thought of doing it that way” or “I can use that idea on my helpline”.
The trainer was excellent and paced the day really well with a good balance of presentation, group work and time to answer questions. It was great to have such an expert to discuss ideas with!
Very comprehensive and informative data protection training. De-mystified the jargon and helped me to translate an otherwise complex area. I can now clearly identify adaptations necessary for our Helpline and I'm confident that we'll now be future proof for pending changes to legislation.
Everybody gets what they need from the day (and then some) and it is always pitched just right. (The Trainer) is clear, supportive and very knowledgeable...the training was of such fantastic quality!!
It was a most beneficial session. I feel that it has allowed us all to look at a different way of thinking in how we should measure outcomes.
I just wanted to say how useful I found the training course – I’m very new to the helpline here at NASS, and found a lot of practical tools and processes that will hopefully hold me in good stead. I thought the trainer, Rachael, was very engaging and knowledgeable, and I really enjoyed the mix of people in the group.
The room was buzzing with enthusiasm over data protection!!!!! Sonia was brilliant in allowing us to discuss and investigate our own systems and then steer it back around to the planned agenda.
The training was excellent. [The Trainer's] helpline experience really enriches the learning.